Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Teacher Academy going well

We are having a great time at the TEacher Academy. The teachers here are so eager to learn anything new we can teach them. Today we taught them how to do centers but it was fast and furious so I'm not sure how much they really understood. We set up centers around the room and they rotated around. We had teachers at each center that would exlain the benefits of that center. They loved it! They were all taking notes furiously. We have really fallen in love with these people and their culture. The teachers are so appreciative. The Academy has 3 basic elements to it: a study of world view/culture etc - training in speaking english - and our training on teaching techniques. As part of the english training he told them to learn 3 new english words from us during "Tea Time" (we have Chai tea everyday in the morning) - and in return we had to learn 3 new Hindi words from them! As always, I crammed for the test and I can't remember the words, now. :)
Miscellaneous stuff - Every day we leave the flat and head to the Metro (an above ground subway) when we get to our stop we take rickshaws about 5 blocks to the Academy. We pay 10 rupees (5 cents) for the rickshaw going to the school because it is downhill and 15 rupees (we give them 20 rupees - 10 cents) coming back because it is uphill, obviously. There are no rules of the road in India - you can drive basically anywhere you want so, needless to say, the rickshaw ride can be quite hairraising! I knew I had finally "arrived" though when today the rickshaw was driving the 'wrong' direction (there really isn't a wrong direction, because everyone drives everywhere - but this time all of the other vehicles were coming at us!) I didn't even flinch - I knew from past experience that the rickshaw driver was going to get out of the way or the cars would go around us. :)
I brought several of my books to give away as door prizes. However, the magnetic letters are in higher demand than my book. ha ha! The teachers here have so few supplies that they see the letters and their eyes light up. They can't believe we are giving this stuff away.
Tonight the international interpreter that is helping us came to dinner at the flat and he brought his family - a wife and two little boys - the boys are absolutely adorable!
I'm sorry I haven't posted any pictures - computer time is precious here as all 16 people here are wanting time on the computers. I will post pics when I get home or later if I get time alone.
Thanks for listening,
jane

1 comment:

  1. Jane, I understand your rickshaw coolness! Your phrase "no rules of the road" is perfect. Isn't it amazing that we saw no wrecks at all! Our favorite sign said "lane driving is safe driving"... apparently that hasn't really caught on! Shaula

    ReplyDelete