Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Orphanage

Yes, we are home safely but I've thought of a couple more things I wanted to put on my blogspot. More memories.
One evening a young couple came to the house to visit with our friends that we were staying with. There was a young indian man that was accompanying them. We all sat down to eat but the young man did not. Since our friends were busy with a phone call I asked the young couple if anyone had offered food to their guide. They said yes but that he was not going to eat because the orphanage was fasting so he was fasting with them. The young man grew up in the orphanage and then stayed on as a helper there. Because the orphanage has run out of money they asked the children if they would fast one meal a day. How sad. I think of that now that I'm home - we are such a gluttonous society - we have in abundance - and there are still children everywhere - not just in India - that are hungry and some even starving to death. How can we stand by and do nothing. Our faith has called us to "do" - not watch and feel sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment